RE: BRQL and typed literals

Fair enough. I was referring strictly to the BRQL spec, not RDQL,
but hence my presumption that support was lurking somewhere there
in the shadows...

> As to operations in such values, the WG has accepted it will
> identify a
> subset of XML schema datatypes and operations. (That's 3.7)
> so there is a
> common base that can be assumed to be there (implementations
> to date have
> provided integer comparison, for example) and extensions,
> with the suggested
> approach by function call (see the strawman doc) or by
> evaluating predicates
> (c.f. cwm or iTQL).

That's fine, if that subset is simply taken as a baseline for
minimum required support -- but not fine if it is taken as an
absolute such that those datatypes recieve literal representation
in the query language yet arbitrary typed literals have no
representation in the query language.

It's one thing to say "all DAWG implementations must support
xsd:integer" but quite another to say "all DAWG implementations
must support integers, which are taken to be the same thing
as xsd:integer values" etc. The former is fine, the latter is
not (if it means not supporting arbitrary typed literals in
the query language).

Again, IMO, a so-called RDF query language that does not provide
for arbitrary typed literals is not an RDF query language.

And note, I'm talking about the query language requirements,
not implementational requirements for query engines. It's fine
to allow implementations to not support arbitrary typed literals
and simply barf back an error message. I have no problem with that.
But for those implementors who wish to support more than that
minimal subset of XML Schema primitive datatypes, they should be
able to do so without having to extend the standard query language.

> Much detail to sort out, of course, especially the matters of value
> comparisions you mention and the implications on databases.

Fair enough. My comments were simply attempting to point out that
support of arbitrary typed literals has no explicit treatment in
the latest documentation I read, and I am simply encouraging the WG
to add it, even if in brief, so that folks who care about such
matters get some indication of its anticipated inclusion in the end
deliverables. Particularly since support of arbitrary typed literals
is not a trivial feature.

Cheers,

Patrick