RE: Limited complexity requirement?

I tend to agree with the general philosophy (a tiny turing-incomplete
subset of XQuery would be great, with the point being that support for
full XQuery is a sensible extension in those environments where it is
useful), but frankly the fact that you can't express the halting problem
doesn't solve any of the implement/deploy/secure/optimize issues. My
frequent refrain is "people don't generally publicize full SQL
interfaces", and there are good reasons that they don't. It is quite
easy to string together enough joins in SQL to form a practically
insoluble query; DOS attacks and the like are possible in even very tiny
languages.