Re: deployment issues with fragment/range protocol

On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:05 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> As a URI, that looks like:
>
> http://rest.myorg.org/#xpointer=xmlns(ns:=http://myorg.org/xpointer/
> scheme/xpath)ns:xpath(//item/3)
>
> which is all well and good if the client knows to use this range
> protocol, but if I hand that URI to, say, wget, it'll
> do the traditional thing of urlopen("http://rest.myorg.org/")
> and then apply the #xpointer... to the result, never sending
> the query to the server at all.
>
> I prefer to use ? (or / or whatever, but not #) to join the
> query to the rest of the URI, so that our design would say
> the URI in this case is:

I agree - even though #xpointer() specs seem not recommending so...

> http://rest.myorg.org/?xpointer=xmlns(ns:=http://myorg.org/xpointer/
> scheme/xpath)ns:xpath(//item/3)
> and if I give that to wget, it'll send the query to the server.

and using '/' instead would also make those URIs cacheable while '?'
would generally not (most proxies/firewalls grep URL queries parts off)

i.e. from the real world A9.com vs. Google URL search paradigm

http://a9.com/foobar

vs.

http://www.google.com/search?q=foobar

perhaps it would be good to learn from past mistakes if we really are
going to have those "bookmarkable queries" in DAWG-QL

Alberto