Re: thoughts and some refs about AFS-2 UC (simplicity, minimalism )

On Mar 24, 2004, at 15:10, ext Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Patrick:
>> Andy, Alberto, are you opposed to the definition of a default/typical
>> form of description which allows for any number of additional forms of
>> descriptions to be provided by any given server?
>
> I wish to see the working group agree the *need* for it to be in the
> rec.
> (normative or non-normative).

Absolutely.

I've presented several use cases which reflect this need, and it's up
to the WG to decide if those use cases merit being addressed.

>> Or is your objection absolute, against any kind of definition
>> whatsoever?
>> (in which case, I'd ask why you would be opposed to facilitating
>> consistency
>> across disparate implementations...)
>
> And to be clear, I am making no absolue objection to anything.  It is
> far
> too early to even think of such things.  I want an early rec,
> delivering
> some significant value now, not a later rec. covering a wider range of
> values.  I believe that the early/simple rec. will trigger community
> requirements we will not think of in this cycle, or not weight highly
> enough.

Quite.

And I feel that the ability to obtain a concise bounded description
of a resource to be a significant short-term need, and that wanting
descriptions of resources rather than variable bindings to be a
primary form of query result.

> Earlier in the message you said:
>
>> one, basic, default, most
>> generally useful/optimal form/resolution of description
>
> and as the discussion shows the FOAF case makes that hard.

Eh? I don't see the discussion showing anything of the sort.

Addressing FOAF isn't hard at all. In fact, the problem is addressed
quite simply, with a single parameter.

I honestly feel that you and Alberto are painting dragons that
don't exist. If there truly are signficiant problems/issues, fine,
let's discuss them. I'm not blindly obsessive about this, even
if I do feel strongly that it is needed.

But please present concrete examples of such problems/issues. I
think it's fair that if anyone is going to dismiss a use case
or issue as out of scope, that they defend their dismissal with
concrete evidence/argument. I've tried to do so myself, even if
perhaps imperfectly at times.

You and Alberto seem to be arguing for dismissal of over half
of the use cases I've submitted. I think it's fair to expect
you to back that up with very convincing arguments.

>   There also seems
> a tension between "optimal" and "basic".  The "content negotiation"
> approach
> seems over doing it but interesting.  It would not need a  default.

No more so than GET needs to ever return anything if conneg
is not used, eh? ;-)

If there's no default, then there's no point. Because then there's
no basic interoperability.

Patrick

--

Patrick Stickler