RE: Use case: AR-2: "Federated query"

I agree that "Federated query" requirements are beyond what a query
language is expected to provide, however just because a particular
application won't be specifically addressed by a recommendation does not
mean the use case can be ignored.

Most naively, you could assume that such a federated knowledge base is
really just translated to a very large collection of RDF. So call that
collection task a part of the non-query application, and a spec which
lets you query the resultant RDF is the part of the use case the DAWG
rec. address.

However, I think it's important that we keep in mind that this is not
necessarily how applications will be architected. Actually gathering all
that RDF into one place may be impractical or impossible. It might be
more reasonable to break a query into smaller pieces and send each of
them to different data source, coordinating only the way the results are
collated together.

To me, this use case brings up the point that there's a real use case
for "large" queries, instead of requiring user combination of many small
queries. If SQL allowed only querying of single tables, requiring users
to perform their own joins (even if result formats made such joins easy
to program), then it would be impossible to perform the kind of back-end
optimization that makes relational database so useful.