RE: Use case: tiger map/census data: have it your way

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 09:03, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
[...]
> Patrick:
> > I think it's useful if our use cases are expressed in terms of
> > the anticipated DAWG recommendation,
>
> While I have sympathy with having use cases be framed in terms of the future
> rec (i.e. diving into tehtechnical), I am also aware that, as a group, we do
> not have a sense of what that recommendation is.

But I agree with Patrick: a good way to get a sense of it is to tell
each other stories about it and see if those stories line up.

I think what he's suggesting echoes another one of the qualities
of the ideal use case that I gave earlier:

"
The ideal use cases will

  -- clarify one or more requitements
"

My hasty use case description fell short of ideal on that count.

>   I like the qualities Dan
> provided as they are outwardedly focused, not technology focused.  Getting
> engagement with the wider audience means talking about the value provided
> and less about the "how".

Yes, the outward focus is critical. But the "how" needs to be in
there somewhere, eventually.

> So I see use cases serving as input to a refinement step.  Let's not jump
> too early and only make use cases a technical description.  The need for a
> technical feature needs to be backed with an illustrative use otherwise it
> is a requirement with unclear value.
>
> If we find that many use cases are covered by one technical aspect, then
> that's good.  We will come out of the first phase with concise requirments
> that cover a range application/user needs.
>
> 	Andy

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?