RE: New use case - RDFS/OWL related

-------- Original Message --------
> From: Jim Hendler <mailto:hendler@cs.umd.edu>
> Date: 8 June 2004 13:51
>
> Andy-
>   I think you missed the intent of my message - I tried to be  clear
> that I was NOT talking about an open ended query -- I would not be
> going to CYC and saying tell me what you know about cats, I would be
> going to a graph and querying forthe bindings for a query something
> like this (I leave it in RDF/XML form for readability, but the quesry
> would be for those subgraphs of triples that match this
>

>   <owl:class rdf:resource=":cat">
>    <?CLASSTYPE>
>      <owl:Restriction>
>        <owl:onProperty ?PROP/>
>        <?OWL ?REST>
>      </owl:Restriction>
>    </rdfs:subClassOf>
>   </owl:class>
>
> i.e. I don't say "tell me about cats" - I say
>    Query the CYC graph for the pattern in which cat has a CLASSTYPE
> (subclassof or equivalentClass)
> of a restriction class and return to me the names of what PROPerties
> the restriction is on, what OWLterm the restriction uses (AllValues,
> SomeValues, etc.) and what the RESTriction is.

I was assuming it was one query in which case the query does not know what
the nature (exact graph shape_ of the restriction.  I read the intention as
"get the restriction whatever it is".  Then, a request to get the
restriction has more than a fixed request because (example) there may be an
RDF list in there.  A query of "get me the restriction for <expression>" has
the feature of the subgraph return that the exact shape of the graph is not
entirely in the

>      <owl:Restriction>
>        <owl:onProperty ?PROP/>
>        <?OWL ?REST>
>      </owl:Restriction>

So the restriction returned is that subgraph.  Am I still missing the point
here?

If you are prepared to make several queries, walking the graph and building
up the query each time then it is doable.  I prefer the "get the subgraph
from this point" style which alos makes getting collections clear.

I hope we can make this one query - having several small requests has
impacts on servers as well as issues of inconsistency in the presence of
updates (not bad in this case but in general the matter exists).

	Andy

>    In practice I might do something different than this (perhaps
> multiple queries for specific combinations as I needed them), but in
> every case I am asking for specific properties of specific entities
> from an RDF graph - in my opinion, this capability is why I devoted
> so much of my past few years to making OWL an RDF language -- if I
> just wanted to query documents, I would have agreed that an XML
> syntax was sufficient -- but for linking and processing OWL, I want
> to use the URIs and the graph
>
>   As far as 3.6 v. 3.7 goes, I was thinking of 3.7 for a couple of
>   reasons: first, when cardinality is used the syntax of the query has
> to be
> able to handle the fact that the cardinalities are expressed using
> xsd:nonNegativeIntegers, and also some of the restrictions in OWL for
> datatype properties would include being able to query for the
> datatype -- maybe I was misinterpreting what 3.7 was intended for.

My mistake.  I was thinking about 3.7 => supporting things like "?age < 43"