RE: in Leiden...

(I'm not local but in case Dirk is busy with XML-e ...)

Train planning can be done with the online train timetable:

http://www.ns.nl/domestic/index.cgi

Trains at :13 and :43 direct, taking 31 minutes Amsterdam RAI to Leiden.
[Aside: Fine use case for DAWG!]

The timetable from Amsterdam RAI is http://www.ns.nl/vertrekstaten/rai1.pdf.

- - - - -

I'm staying in Leidschendam, just South of Leiden, so I'll be coming in by
train both days.  It seems to be about 2 km (in a straight line), say 3km
max by streets, from the Leiden station to the meeting location - is that
about right?

Not as good a map but with a scale:

http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=print&X=499500&Y=6796000&scale=100
00&coordsys=mercator