Re: PS-8: Query with Datatype Value Comparison & Support for Arbitrary Datatypes in Query

On Apr 02, 2004, at 10:49, ext Janne Saarela wrote:

> Following yesterday's teleconference I would like to continue
> discussion on this support for arbitrary datatypes in a query.
>
> I suggested that if the support is really for any arbitrary
> datatype, for a DAWG recommendation compatible RDF query
> processor we need to lay a set of minimal datatypes it needs
> to support. This would enable us to lay a minimal set of
> operators that operate on these datatypes.
>
> I suggest the minimal set of datatypes would be a
> subset of all XML Schema datatypes. I leave it up to
> further discussion to see which ones are truly necessary.

I support both of these requirements.

1. Any typed literal value which can be expressed in RDF/XML must
    also be expressible in the DAWG QL in terms of the same datatype
    URI and lexical form. There are thus no restrictions on the
    datatypes that one can use to express a query.

If a given datatype expressed in a query is not recognized/supported,
the query either fails, since no comparisions can be made, or (my
preference) a warning/error is issued about the unsupported datatype).

2. A core set of datatypes, ideally based on the XML Schema predefined
    datatypes, will be specified as manditory.

As for the latter, the list should be as short as possibly. Perhaps
only:

xsd:string
xsd:decimal, and some/all its derived subtypes
xsd:date
xsd:dateTime
xsd:anyURI
xsd:base64Binary