Re: Mistake in the default serialisation of the RDF ontology

On 17/12/2021 14:02, Matthieu Bosquet wrote:
> The specific quote from "RDF Schema 1.1 - 5.3.3 rdf:predicate
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_predicate>" I am referring to
> states the following:
> ---
> A triple of the form:
>
>     |S rdf:predicate P|
>
> states that S is an instance of |rdf:Statement
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_statement>|, that P is an
> instance of |rdf:Property
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_property>| and that the
> predicate of S is P.
> ---

My bad, I missed that part.

> More specifically: "...P is an instance of |rdf:Property
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_property>|".
>
> My understanding is that this section describes which statements can
> be inferred from one asserted statement of the form "S rdf:predicate
> P"; one of which would be "P a rdf:Property"; which I believe means
> that the range of rdf:predicate should be rdf:Property (which is not
> only contrary to the default serialisation of the RDF ontology
> <http://w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>, but also to the following
> sentence that you quoted).

Yes. As Richard also pointed out, the contradiction is in the RDFS
Recommendation itself...

I'll add this in RDF's https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/RDF1.1_Errata,
and credit you with it, if you don't mind.

> I also think that many foolish things can be said and it's a good
> thing that, if anything, entailment helps realising how foolish the
> things said are.

Agreed, but entailment should not "shoot the messenger", and treat as
foolish any graph merely quoting a foolish statement.

Imagine I say "Alice believes that the earth is flat". You should not
call me a flat earther for reporting this!

   pa