Re: Are literal language tags compared in lowercase?

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:44:46 +0000
Cc: public-rdf-comments@w3.org
To: Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk>

> On 12 Jan 2017, at 15:55, Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:00:47 +0000, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:
>> Hi Stian,
>>
>> An answer cannot be determined with 100% certainty from the text.
>>
>> What is clear:
>>
>> - "Hello"@en and "Hello"@EN have the same value
>> - One MAY normalise "Hello"@EN to "Hello"@en
>> - In RDF 2004, "Hello"@en and "Hello"@EN were clearly equal
>>
>> RDF 2004 forced the language tag to be lower-cased in the abstract syntax. Implementations of RDF 2004 often did not do that, but retained the case when storing or transforming RDF, while still treating @en and @EN as equal. My recollection is that we wanted to change the language of the spec to make this behaviour legal. Unfortunately it seems the language came out less clear than it should be. I do not think that there was any intention to make @en and @EN not equal.
>
> OK, so "Hello"@en and "Hello"@EN are the same value ("Value Equal"), but they are NOT (in RDF 1.1) "Term Equal”?

That’s not what I said.

In RDF 2004, "Hello"@en and "Hello"@EN were the same term (that is, they are equal).

I don’t recall an intention to change that behaviour in RDF 1.1. So, as best as I can recall, the intention was that these two terms should still be the same term (that is, equal) in RDF 1.1.

Richard