Re: Usage of rdfs:label

Felicja,

rdfs:label is for human-readable labels.

You say: “If the label literal were to be used as a replacement for the URI, then I would not know what resource is the label for.”

That’s right. But if you need to know *exactly* what resource the label is for, then why would you replace the URI with the label? If you need a precise, globally unique identifier, then use the URI. If you want something a bit shorter, use the canonical prefixed name such as rdfs:Resource. If you need something that looks like a normal end-user friendly string for rendering in an end-user interface, use the rdfs:label.

You say: “There is nothing in this label telling me that "Resource" is a class.”

That’s right. That’s why there is not just an rdfs:label but also an rdf:type!

Labels are just that—labels. They don’t tell you everything about a resource, and are not necessarily unique.

rdfs:Resource is a difficult example to make these distinctions clear, because it’s a metamodelling construct with a very specific meaning, and not a domain class. The distinction should be clearer if you consider a domain ontology like schema.org. It has classes for things like TV episodes, music playlists, bus trips, and so on. These terms may show up in end-user applications. The label presented to an end user should be “TV episode”, not “TVEpisode” or “schema:TVEpisode”. So, the rdfs:label should be “TV episode”, not “schema:TVEpisode”.

Also consider multilinguality. Labels can be translated into different languages. If we had labels like “rdfs:Resource” or “schema:TVEpisode”, a translation would not be meaningful.

Best,
Richard