Re: Are w3.org/2013/*Tests/ directories in sync with github.com/w3c/rdf-tests/ ?

On 5 January 2016 at 23:35, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:

Personally, I’ve had problems with git sub-modules before in that they get
> stuck on the commit they’re initialized with, but, in principle, this is
> probably the way to go. Of course, you can also simply access them over
> HTTP.

I've gone ahead and done this.

https://github.com/robstewart57/rdf4h

The rdf-tests repo is a submodule, and as you say it's pinned at commit
67a7ab9. It'd be up to me update and pin a newer rdf-tests commit hash,
though I've documented this in the README:

> If you've never initialised the rdf-tests repository:
>
> $ git submodule update --init --recursive
>
> To run the parser tests against the latest W3C test files:
>
> $ git submodule foreach git pull origin gh-pages

And I've set TravisCI up to pull the latest from w3c/rdf-tests before
running the testsuite by modifying the .travis.yml file:

before_install:
- git submodule foreach git pull origin gh-pages

Which seems to be working.

I guess there's two possible advantages of using git submodules for staying
in sync with w3c/rdf-tests rather than using wget to get GitHub or apache
tar files. 1) when parser tests fail, I'll be able to pinpoint the exact
w3c/rdf-tests commit that the test fails against, and 2) `git submodule
foreach git pull origin gh-pages` will only pull newer files, rather than
downloading all files in a tar every time.

The setup seems reasonably robust, but if using w3c/rdf-tests as a
submodule to synchronise is more flaky than I'd have hoped, I'll report
back.

--
Rob