Re: Are w3.org/2013/*Tests/ directories in sync with github.com/w3c/rdf-tests/ ?

Eric and I discussed this further yesterday, and came to some different conclusions:

There is value in reusing the existing test suite URIs; the need to preserve the original state of these test suites is served by keeping a tarball of the original state of the suites.

There is precedent for updating the implementation reports in place, as this has been done already for Turtle, TriG and a couple of others. They can maintain a reference to the version used for the transition call (although this seems broken in at least one case).

A post-commit hook can easily be used to synchronize the content of the RDF Test group’s Github repository in W3C spec, thus guarding against some future change that might make it unavailable remotely.

Eric is going to experiment with this. He’ll create tarballs of the existing directories, which can be added to our Github repo. Once we’re satisfied, the existing test directories and implementation reports can be set to either redirect to the synchronized location, or Apache configuration can be updated to make these appear in the existing locations.

This can help avoid confusion about what the “official” tests are. A future WG may, of course, change this, but is more likely to create a new location for tests, and certainly implementation reports.

Gregg Kellogg
gregg@greggkellogg.net