Re: RDF's relative IRI resolution is ambiguous

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 00:58:34 +0200
Cc: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, RDF Comments <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net>
>> Normalization of the base URI, as described in Sections 6.2.2 and 6.2.3, is optional.
>
> So, it would seem that we need to be explicit about expected behavior.

+1

> Special casing <> in Turtle would be unfortunate

Indeed. Furthermore, it's not just <>, but also <#> and <?>.

If the base URI should be normalized, then given a base of <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../>
    <> becomes <http://example.org/>
    <#abc> becomes <http://example.org/#abc>
    <?abc> becomes <http://example.org/?abc>

If the base URI should not be normalized, then
    <> becomes <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../>
    <#abc> becomes <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../#abc>
    <?abc> becomes <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../?abc>

Given the Turtle spec's wording, I think the latter was intended.

Best,

Ruben