Re: No reference to RDF 1.0

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 6:16 AM, Miguel <miguel.ceriani@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> in my opinion, and not as an official request to the group, this is
> part of a "first version problem" of some Semantic Web specs.
>
> The first version of W3C recommendations for RDF, OWL, SPARQL (and
> possibly other standards) are all referred in newer versions as "...
> 1.0", while these original versions retain on the W3C site their
> version-less title.
> This instead not the case for other W3C recommendations as XML 1.0,
> SVG 1.0, XHTML 1.0.
> I don't know if these latter recommendations have been given a version
> number from the beginning (a good practice indeed) or it has been
> added later (in that case it could be done for clarity also to RDF and
> other recs).

If by "this" you mean the problem that I reported, you misunderstand me. My
complaint was not about how things are named, but on how names are
resolved. The operative principle in formal writing is that if document A
(the one under preparation) refers to document B, then A should provide a
proper bibliographic reference to B so that a reader can find B. It doesn't
matter what B is called inside of A - 'RDF 1.0' or 'Frank' or 'that other
thing'. Regardless of whether the name A uses for B is private to A, or is
the same name as used elsewhere, there *must* be a bibliographic reference
so readers can determine what is meant by that name.

In web contexts, this is the "follow your nose" principle; in scholarly
writing it's simply good practice and goes back hundreds of years.

This is a really simple matter and has been taken care of (to the extent
currently possible) by the addition to the errata, which I appreciate.
(although to quibble, the recs *do* provide history links, so that's not
the issue; the problem is unresolvable uses of the phrase 'RDF 1.0'.)

Best
Jonathan