Re: RDF 1.1 Primer draft - comments

Dear Gareth,

Thanks for your comments. Responses inline.

On 13-01-14 18:06, Yves Raimond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Below are some comments by Gareth Adams (BBC developer) on the RDF 1.1
> Primer.
>
> ---
> * The primer should introduce SPARQL in the first introduction of the
> example, by adding something like "Once you have a graph like this, you
> can use [[SPARQL]] to query for e.g. people interested in paintings by
> Leonardo da Vinci". When you're reading a primer and you don't know
> anything about Semantic Web technologies, every instruction seems like
> extra work to do. The quicker you can explain where the benefit of a
> particular technology appears, the easier it is to understand.

Added this in Sec. 3.1., just after Fig. 1.

> * In the IRI section, the primer should include a statement about
> sharing IRIs, and add an example of a vocabulary IRI (e.g.
> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person>, for example).

Changed as suggested. The IRI added was foaf:knows, to also have an
example IRI that acts as property. Text:

[[
     IRIs are global identifiers, so other people can re-use this
     IRI to identify the same thing. For example, the following IRI is
     used by many people as an RDF property to state an acquaintance
     relationship between people:
]]

>   * In the vocabulary section, the primer should state that vocabularies
> should ideally be reused. New terms should only be introduced if they're
> not already defined. If you gather RDF data from multiple sources (web
> pages, online databases, etc.), it will simplify the queries you'll need
> to write against this data. For example it is easier to query for all
> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person> instead of all
> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person> and all <http://schema.org/Person>.

Included the following paragraph after the list of vocabs:

[[
   Vocabularies get their value from reuse: the more vocabulary IRIs
   are reused by others, the more valuable it becomes to use the
   IRIs (the so-called network effect). This means you should prefer
   re-using someone else's IRI instead of inventing a new one.
]]

> * The 'RDF data' section should include a point about using this data
> through SPARQL, pointing at the SPARQL Primer.

Unfortunately, there is no SPARQL Primer :(.  We'll think about how to
expand this point a bit.

> * Turtle (or even better, N-Triples) conveys the message better than
> JSON-LD, which might lead to distracting readers from the core part of
> RDF (triples).

Right, the Triple (with N-Triples in there) will remain the first example.

The ED has been updated [1]. Thanks again for your comments; very
helpful indeed!

Best,
Guus

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-primer/index.html#