[RESOLVED] Re: Absolute URIs for Turtle tests

From: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:45:21 -0800
Cc: "public-rdf-comments@w3.org" <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
On Nov 3, 2013, at 8:42 AM, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> Apologies, I never looked past the subject to see that this raised another issue.
>
> At this point, the WG has finalized the test suite with the relative links to the input and reference files in the manifest. This format is compatible with the format used in the SPARQL 1.0 and SPARQL 1.1 test suites. An advantage they offer over manifests with absolute URIs is that the parser can execute the manifest either remotely against <http://www.w3.org/2013/TurtleTests/manifest.ttl> or locally against <file://manifest.ttl> without some additional mechanism intercepting GETs against <http://www.w3.org/2013/TurtleTests/foo.ttl> and interpreting them as <file://foo.ttl>. The cost is that the EARL report must be modified in the end, but that can be done with sed.
>
> If this address your comments, please reply with the subject prefixed with "[RESOLVED]".

Eric,

Iím willing to concede on this matter as time seems to have gotten the best of the WG, but it seems you failed to understand what I was asking for. I was requesting that the test URIs (and only the test URIs) be changed to being absolute. This would not have affected test harnesses as the test URIs never need to be dereferenced (unlike things like a specific testís mf:action and mf:result URLs which point at actual files which need to be dereferenced in order to run the test).

As an example, the test

http://www.w3.org/2013/TurtleTests/manifest.ttl#IRI_subject

doesnít need to be dereferenced, and would work perfectly fine (and in my opinion much better) were it referenced as an absolute URI in the manifest. I was not suggesting that URLs such as:

http://www.w3.org/2013/TurtleTests/IRI_subject.ttl

which needs to be dereferenced in order to run the <#IRI_subject> test should be encoded as anything other than the relative URL <IRI_subject.ttl>.

.greg