Re: N-Quads TR

* Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> [2013-05-26 15:06+0200]

> On 26 May 2013, at 13:14, Andreas Harth <harth@kit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just stumpled across the Note about N-Quads.
> >
> > You might want to reference our earlier document specifying
> > N-Quads [1].  Actually, you should.
>
> I wonder if this cannot be reduced down to triples again by going
> through a content relation, relating a URI to the representation received
> from it:
>
> <http://server.example/doc> :content [ turtle "<http://server.example/doc#me> a <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person> ." ] .
>
> or in short
>
> <http://server.example/doc> :content "<http://server.example/doc#me> a <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person> ."^^lang:turtle .
>
> No need for quads. You get the quad by indirection through a literal.

In theory, this seems like a clever way to write and refer to
non-asserted triples, but in practice, we're always going to want to
associate them with some label (i.e. we'll only know what to do with
it when we see the :content predicate) and this triples-as-literal
approach requires a recursive parser. I prefer to have the surface
syntax express the expected behavior and to have the parser do all the
work in one pass.

--
-ericP