Re: PrEfIx and BaSe should be removed from Turtle

On 05/22/2013 05:03 PM, Peter Ansell wrote:

> [...]
>     N3/Turtle with the @-sign and SPARQL (and kind of every other
>     language) without the @-sign.   On the one hand, we have lots of
>     people using N3 and Turtle.  On the other hand, we have lots of
>     people using SPARQL.   SPARQL is a W3C Recommendation while N3 and
>     Turtle are not.   SPARQL is perhaps used more internally, while N3
>     and Turtle are published in the open.
>
>     Some people say, "but they are different" -- SPARQL is a database
>     interface language, Turtle is a data format, so they can and
>     should be arbitrarily different -- but I don't find this
>     compelling at all.  I think it makes perfect sense to say Turtle
>     and SPARQL (and TriG) are composed of the same pieces, put
>     together in the obvious ways for the obvious purposes.  To say
>     that two of the pieces (the directives with and without @-sign)
>     serve the exact same purpose but are not interchangeable seems to
>     me to be an obvious design flaw.
>
>     We can't just remove the @-sign, because there's lots of Turtle
>     using it already, but I see no reason not to allow a slow
>     migration to begin.
>
>     Bottom line:*I think it's burden on users to have to keep track of
>     arbitrary and meaningless syntactic differences between closely
>     related languages.*   There's a burden to changing, but I believe
>     Turtle will have far more users in the future than it has today.
>
>     As I said on the call, this is not a do-or-die thing, of course.
>     I don't think we need to spend a lot of time arguing about it.
>     Folks did ask me to state my reasons, though, so I've done that.
>     If we require @-signs in Turtle, I believe it will be a
>     mistake.    (Not the first, not the last, ...  :-)
>

> In this case the delayed standardisation process doesn't really allow
> for you to say "If we require", as practically the W3C would be
> expected to standardise something that fits with existing deployments
> unless there is a technical hurdle within the format. If the W3C were
> designing the syntax from scratch within a standardisation track then
> you would be perfectly able to say that existing deployments were just
> experimentally using an early draft of the format and they could
> change their limited, experimental, deployments over to the new
> syntax. That clearly isn't the case here where there are a large
> number of static Turtle files and RDF-to-Turtle serialisers that have
> always used it. As I said to Eric, and as Gavin quoted below, you
> can't use the "future users are more significant then current users"
> to remove support for a feature that isn't actually hindering anything
> technically.
>
> If Turtle is not going to remove support for the syntax, then it would
> be much more confusing for users to have two fairly different syntaxes
> (given the difference with the dot at the end) than to have one, as
> machine generated Turtle may still use @prefix and @base for the
> foreseeable future to maintain backwards compatibility.

We have two possible stories:

1.  In SPARQL you use prefix-no-period and in Turtle you use
@prefix-with-period.  And that's how it will always be.

-or-

2.  Turtle is transitioning to match SPARQL with prefix-no-period.
During the transition, you may still want to generate
@prefix-with-period to support older systems.   In the future, you may
still encounter old documents with @prefix-with period; systems MUST
still accept them.

I, personally, am much more comfortable with the second story.  It
acknowledges a sort-of mistake, does what we can to repair the
situation.   The first story seems to me to be denying the mistake, to
the detriment of the vast majority of users, long term.

But this is more of a personal view than a technical one, so I don't
expect to change a lot of minds.    The objective thing we could do is
try to test users to see which is easier for them, but that's a lot of
work, and it's hard to know which users are the right ones to test.

>     (Closely related, I think TriG (beyond the directives) needs to be
>     a subset of the SPARQL quad pattern syntax, allowing the GRAPH
>     keyword and not requiring braces around the default graph.  I
>     mention it here because the arguments are very similar.)
>

> Does TriG currently allow @base redefinitions or @prefix definitions
> inside of Graphs? If so we will be in exactly the same position there
> where there is no copy and paste support anyway, lest someone has
> relied on the ability to redefine the base within their triples for
> some valid purpose.
>
> In the same way people are not allowed to copy and paste Turtle
> documents into SPARQL if they rely on that ability, or if they are not
> completely sure that their copy and pasted Turtle file does not rely
> on that ability or have any redefined prefixes internally. Hence, in
> both cases, not switching to use the SPARQL style when it is not copy
> and pastable in the general case doesn't have a technical downside, as
> the ability was never really there.

Copy-paste isn't an argument I'm making.   To me, this is about people
trying to remember the syntaxes of two languages (and their arbitrary,
meaningless differences).

For copy paste to/from SPARQL one is probably going to have to paste the
directives in separately, yes.

      -- Sandro