Re: TriG being disjoint from Turtle

On 05/17/2013 04:35 PM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

>> P.s.    still hoping for an
>>          @format <http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/CR-turtle-20130219/> .
>>      or similar.
>
> Jan,
>
> How do MIME types fit into the picture for you?

Hi Andy,

Well, in theory you can tell the format from the file extension or
mimetype. In practice it doesn't work so well because of
misinterpretations (e.g., people calling their Turtle file holding OWL
data .owl, leaving the poor software to guess the format from the
content) and poorly configured software (servers returning the wrong
mimetype, clients uploading data using POST requests with the wrong
mimetype). Besides, neither the extension nor the mimetype tells us
which version of these formats we are dealing with.

I'm sure this will eventually sort itself out as the old versions of
these formats die away and everybody complies to the latest standard.
That might take a while though :-( Also, nobody says this is the last
revision of RDF serialization syntax.

Adding a version indication to a file as well as something that helps
recognizing the file from the content is pretty widespread practice.

 Cheers --- Jan