Re: The tone of the "JSON-LD vs. RDF" debate (was re: Sub-issue on the re-definition of Linked Data)

On 6/12/13 6:30 PM, David Booth wrote:

> On 06/12/2013 04:40 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> Would it be clearer if that sentence were phrased in the exact same
>>> way that the first sentence is phrased?  "JSON-LD was also designed to
>>> be usable by developers as idiomatic RDF, so . . . ."

>>> But the point of that sentence is to be clear that JSON-LD can be used
>>> as RDF, just as it can be used as JSON.
>> When you align RDF and JSON in the manner outlined above,  you open up
>> the RDF == JSON trap door. As far as I know, RDF != JSON.
>
> I do not see how it opens up an "RDF == JSON" trap door any more than
> it opens up a "JSON-LD = JSON" trapdoor.  Saying that "X is usable as
> Y" does not say that "X = Y".
>

>> A simple paragraph devoid of ambiguity will do. Right now, I am stumped
>> at "usable as RDF" which is at best ambiguous.
>
> Would "processable as idiomatic JSON-LD" and "processable as RDF" be
> better in your eyes?

I don't know the source of the following (unless Sven was suggesting
it), but it's certainly clearer:

"JSON-LD is a concrete RDF syntax
<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-concrete-rdf-syntax> as
described in [RDF11_CONCEPTS]. Hence, a JSON-LD document is both an RDF
document and a JSON document and correspondingly represents both an
instance of the RDF data model and an instance of the JSON-LD data model."

The additional part that follows could be of concern to some.
Personally, I don't have an issue with it:

"RDF's data model is a subset of JSON-LD's data model
<http://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld/#dfn-json-ld-data-model> with a
few additional constraints. The differences between the two data models
are: ..."

Kingsley

--

Regards,