Re: The tone of the "JSON-LD vs. RDF" debate (was re: Sub-issue on the re-definition of Linked Data)

On Jun 11, 2013, at 7:02 PM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 12:19 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> On Jun 11, 2013, at 5:02 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
>>> We were asked by members of the RDF WG to add this section. In fact,
> Richard
>>> wrote most of it, I just completed it because he got busy otherwise.
> There
>>> why reason it is there, is because the data models are not exactly the
> same.
>>> JSON-LD allows bnodes for graph labels and predicates wheras RDF's data
>>> model does not.
>>
>> I know there are these slight differences, and I do not mean to imply
>> that they are not important. But still, the JSON-LD model is clearly a
>> slight generalization of RDF. It is not something completely different.
>> It could be explained, for example, by saying that its the RDF model
>> with two generalizations. (The bnodes-for-predicates generalization is
>> already widely known in the RDF literature, invented by terHorst in
>> 2004, and could be cited.) But to re-state all the rest of the model as
>> though it was something wholly new, without any reference to RDF at
>> all, is (to repeat myself) deliberately misleading.
>
> So, you are raising a new point then. You want the data model section to be
> replaced with a statement saying that JSON-LD serializes the "RDF['s data]
> model with two generalizations" citing terHorst for the
> "bnodes-for-predicates generalization".

No doubt that would not fly, so I will not attempt it. But how about adding a sentence something like this to appendix A, end of first paragraph:

"These definitions correspond closely, both in terminology and in general structure, to the abstract syntax of RDF datasets and RDF graphs."

Pat