RE: Official response to RDF-ISSUE-132: JSON-LD/RDF Alignment

On Saturday, June 08, 2013 7:16 PM, zazi@smiy.org wrote:
> > syntax. So, it would be more correct to say
> >
> >   3) When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information,
> >      using a standard format which can be interpreted as RDF
> >
> > Would that add any value given that you can interpret (convert) every
> > format to RDF? I doubt so. This group (myself included) is convinced
> > that doing so would scare of a large portion of the target group,
> > i.e., average web developers.
>
> What you are citing is correct. However, it' just an excerpt of the
> original LinkedData meme from TimBL in 2006. Some weeks ago I had the
> same idea, but I dropped it because TimBL also stated the following in
> the introduction:
>
> "Like the web of hypertext, the web of data is constructed with
> documents on the web. However,  unlike the web of hypertext,  where
> links are relationships anchors in hypertext documents written in
> HTML, for data they links  between arbitrary things described by RDF,.
>   The URIs identify any kind of object or  concept.   But for HTML or
> RDF, the same expectations apply to make the web grow:"

Right, but that's comparing apples and pears. HTML is a serialization format whereas RDF is a data model. It would either have to be HTML and RDF/XML or DOM and RDF.

> Albeit, I think and endorse that one can view the Linked Data
> guideline in itself as RDF independent, I'm not really sure whether
> this was TimBL's intention at this moment nor that it his intention
> right now. I think it might be good to ask Sir Tim Berners-Lee himself
> about his opinion (his intention) to this topic, or? ;)

I think he just made a couple of examples to bring his point across. I don't believe he ever intended them to be the only possible choices. In other words, I suppose he wrote this under an Open World assumption :-P

> Anyway, I really endorse and support the way JSON-LD and its spec
> writers are going right now.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Markus