Re: Official response to RDF-ISSUE-132: JSON-LD/RDF Alignment

On 6/7/13 8:22 PM, David Booth wrote:
>> RDF based Linked Data is how we should refer to Linked Data that's based
>> on RDF. Otherwise, we are simply fighting a justifiably losing battle
>> trying to pack the generic phrase "Linked Data" into the already
>> over-conflated bucket called "RDF".
>
> AFAICT, the only conflating that's going on here is that you are
> conflating the generic (non-web) concept of "linking data" (i.e.,
> connecting data) with the specific concept of "Linked Data", i.e., the
> term coined by TimBL as a better way to talk about the semantic web.
>
> David

No!

Structured Data Representation using Pointers isn't an RDF invention.
Neither is it something that manifested as a result of TimBL's Linked
Data meme or his actual conceptualization and creation of the World Wied
Web application/system/platform.

Even right now, as I type, the concept of Linked Data (pick any version
of TimBL's meme and mesh with RDF specs) is simply about making
structured data representation Web-like.

Web-like (or Webby) != World Wide Web .

Of course, when you arrive at Web-like (i.e. Webby) via HTTP URIs the
Web expands on a global scale, courtesy of the Internet.

The biggest problem with RDF is that poor narratives have obscured
almost every path to actually understanding and appreciating its utility.

Even if everything I've said the years is absolute nonsense, why on
earth would anyone assume that (circa. 2013) the best approach to mass
acceptance of Linked Data boils down to inextricably binding it to RDF?

There are no technical, commercial, educational,  or marketing merits of
any kind to narratives that conflate RDF and Linked Data.

I note, the TAG is already considering revising the use of "Resource" in
AWWW. Once that happens, we might even realize that RDF is better served
as meaning: Relations Description Framework :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO