Re: ISSUE-148: RDF Concepts - IRIs do *not* always denote the same resource

Hi Markus,

On 12/14/2013 07:04 AM, Markus Lanthaler wrote:
> David,
>
> On Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:12 AM, David Booth wrote:
>>. . .   But to later *explicitly* claim that "IRIs
>> have global scope: Two different appearances of an IRI denote the
>> same resource" seems too harmfully misleading to me.
>
> What if we would spell out some consequences of IRIs that denote multiple things. Something like
>
>    1.3 The Referent of an IRI
>
>    [...]
>
>    Guidelines for determining the referent of an IRI are provided in other
>    documents, like Architecture of the World Wide Web, Volume One [WEBARCH]
>    and Cool URIs for the Semantic Web [COOLURIS]. A very brief, informal and
>    partial account follows:
>
>    • IRIs have global scope by design. Thus, two different appearances
>      of an IRI denote the same resource. Violations of this principle may
>      lead to interoperability problems or inconsistencies when, e.g.,
>      using data from multiple sources.
>
> Would that address your concerns?

That comes *very* close to addressing my concerns.  A slight tweak to
the bullet item would do it:

    • IRIs have global scope by design. Thus, two different appearances
      of an IRI are intended to denote the same resource. Violations
      of this principle may lead to interoperability problems or
      inconsistencies when, e.g., using data from multiple sources.

Thanks,
David