Re: Comments on Last-Call Working Draft of RDF 1.1 Semantics

Le 10/12/2013 09:22, Pat Hayes a écrit :

> [...]
> and I see that you there make very detailed reference to much of the
> formal machinery defined in the 2004 RDF Semantics document,
> repeating and then modifying or extending many of the exact
> definitions, including those of datatype maps. In order to refer to
> the RDF 1.1 Semantics rather than the 2004 Semantics in the same way
> would require, I now see, extensive editorial changes to the 2010 OWL
> 2 RDF document, since many of those definitions have now been
> modified or in some cases removed from the RDF 1.1 Semantics
> altogether. However, the particular issue we are discussing here
> seems to be only one of these changes, and not one that affects any
> entailments in either RDF or OWL 2. It would be straighforward, if
> tedious, to re-word the relevant sections (chiefly 4.1 and 4.2, with
> minor wording changes in 3.3 and 3.4) so that they used the concepts
> of D-interpretation and recognized IRIs defined in the RDF 1.1
> Semantics document, rather than referring to the datatype map
> construct used in the 2004 RDF specifications, while still describing
> exactly the same extended semantic structures related to RDF in the
> same way. (Other differences between the 2004 and 2013 RDF semantics
> descriptions seem to have more far-reaching editorial consequences;
> for example, that intepretations in RDF 1.1 are not defined with
> respect to a vocabulary. Others require changes to actual
> entailments, in particular the fact that ill-formed literals produce
> inconsistencies in RDF without using the RDFS extension.)
>
> Nevertheless, in order to make the connection to the 2004 definitions
> more explicit, let me suggest that we change our wording by adding to
> the end of the first paragraph of section 7 so that it reads as
> follows:
>
> -----
>
> Datatypes are identified by IRIs. Interpretations will vary according
> to which IRIs they recognize as denoting datatypes. We describe this
> using a parameter D on simple interpretations. where D is the set of
> recognized datatype IRIs. We assume that a recognized IRI identifies
> a unique datatype wherever it occurs, and the semantics requires that
> it refers to this identified datatype. The exact mechanism by which
> an IRI identifies a datatype IRI is considered to be external to the
> semantics, but we may describe this identification as a mapping from
> recognized IRIs to datatypes, called a <def>datatype map</def>.
>
> and then modify the change note as follows:
>
> <Change note> In the 2004 Semantics specification, D was defined to
> be a datatype map rather than a set of IRIs.  This  permitted
> "non-standard" datatype maps which map IRIs to datatypes they do not
> identify (such as one that maps the IRI
> 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#decimal' to the datatype identified
> by http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#gYearMonth ). Semantic extensions
> based on such non-standard mappings are not sanctioned by this

Leaving aside the rest of the proposal for the moment, this change note
must not appear in the spec. Having datatype maps or sets does not make
any difference wrt this issue, and in any case, "pathological" datatype
maps were ruled out of the definition long before an Editor's draft of
Semantics even existed. See RDF 1.1 Concepts WD in June 2012, revised in
January 2013, and the ED still contained the definition until May 2013.

It has been your most repeated argument against datatype map, but it is
falacious.

AZ.

--
Antoine Zimmermann