Re: Turtle quotation idea unicode

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 20:37 +0100, Henry Story wrote:
[ . . . ]
> From the Book "Programming in Scala 2nd edition"
> [[
> Because this syntax is awkward for strings that contain a lot of
> escape sequences or strings that span multiple lines, Scala includes a
> special syntax for raw strings. You start and end a raw string with
> three double quotation marks in a row ("""). The interior of a raw
> string may contain any characters whatsoever, including newlines,
> quotation marks, and special characters, ex- cept of course three
> quotes in a row. For example, the following program prints out a
> message using a raw string:
> ]]

Perl has this capability as well, though the syntax is different.  I
find it very useful: it makes the quoted string much easier to read and
therefore easier to ensure that it is correct.

The value that this brings is not limited to programming languages.  It
applies to any language in which strings are used and certain characters
otherwise need to be specially escaped.  So I think this would be quite
useful to have in Turtle, whether using existing """ syntax or adopting
a new syntax is for it.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/