Re: Issue-69

Eric,

This point is not about extensions. It is about the behaviour of conforming DM implementations that connect conforming SQL-2008 implementations to conforming XSD implementations.

A SQL implementation that handles 38-digit decimals *is conforming*. Many popular SQL implementations do.

An XSD implementation that handles 38-digit decimals *is conforming*. Many popular XSD implementations do.

The correct mapping from one to the other is obvious and trivial.

A DM spec that requires conforming DM implementations to throw away the last 20 digits when converting from one to the other is simply *BROKEN*. It doesn't make any sense at all. The fact that you don't realize this scares me.

You justify throwing away these 20 digits by saying that it somehow promotes interoperability. It doesn't. It means that some implementers will implement the broken spec, while others will implement the simple, obvious and correct mapping. This is not improving interoperability! In fact, just saying, “for decimals, the behaviour is undefined, you should do the obvious thing” would probably result in better interoperability.

Giving implementers the choice of *either* being correct *or* being conforming is a recipe for disaster.

Editorial suggestion: use the text from the R2RML spec. Unlike the current DM text, it is *correct*.

Adding an *informative note* to the effect that XSD doesn't require support for more than 18 digits could be useful.

Thank you,
Richard