Defining a SQL fragment? (was: Re: Using Datalog as a common semantics)

Harry,

On 19 Jul 2010, at 15:42, Harry Halpin wrote:
>> The fragment of Datalog that we need to use for the mapping language
>> has a simple syntax and a semantics that can be easily understood, so
>> it is a good alternative.

> The other topic would be to see if this SQL fragment would be a good
> starting point for the SQL-based approach as well.

I don't understand the purpose of defining a SQL fragment for the SQL-
based approach as part of this WG's work.

I think there is a clear desire to allow full SQL in a compliant
implementation of the SQL-based approach. This is at least what I
gather from Souri's and Orri's comments. I can not remember anyone
making an argument that only a restricted SQL fragment should be
allowed in the SQL-based approach.

Can you please explain, or point me to the discussion that motivates
the need for restrictions in the allowable SQL in the SQL-based
approach?

Best,