GRDDL as hook for alternative syntaxes (was: Re: The syntax issue)

Harry, Souri,

On 25 Aug 2010, at 17:19, Harry Halpin wrote:
> I'd suggest that we use the simplest possible XML
> syntax and have a GRDDL (XSLT) transformation to the Turtle/RDF
> syntax.

If we *have* to have an XML syntax, then I agree that this is the way
to go: define the simplest possible XML syntax and have an XSLT that
translates it to the RDF syntax. In terms of WG workload and
additional implementation cost, this looks quite doable.

But the disadvantages I mentioned in the other thread (dilution of
education efforts; newbies have to pick a syntax without knowing the
consequences; interoperability issues because of syntax expressivity
issues) remain.

In my mind, creating an alternative surface syntax for a language is a
bit like creating a graphical user interface for the language: it just
enables a different way of interacting with the language (textual or
graphical). Clearly, whatever we do, any vendor is free to create
graphical editors or alternative syntaxes as they see fit. As long as
a standard exchange syntax exists, interoperability should be
achievable despite a multitude of such interfaces (textual or
graphical).

So, maybe it would be sufficient if the R2RML spec states that
conformant R2RML processors MUST support GRDDL, without actually
elevating a concrete XML format to W3C Recommendation status?

Any opinions?

Best,
Richard