Re: Role of the Ontology and Expressivity - to discuss on telcon

* Juan Sequeda <juanfederico@gmail.com> [2010-04-26 20:27-0400]
> This week I commented on the role of the ontology [1] where we should
> consider that we are mapping to the following:
>
>    - existing domain ontology (FOAF, SIOC, etc)
>    - a putative ontology (automatically generating the ontology from the
>    schema/DDL)
>    - a federated ontology: combining different ontologies
>

> Eric initially manifested the need to talk about the expressivity [2]. If I
> understand correctly the issue of the expressivity is being presented as
> "DIRECT - Recapulating Relational Structure" [3] and TRANSFORM -
> Non-isomorphic transformation [4].
>
> I'm honestly a bit confused with both of these requirements, but this is my
> take on them. Eric, please correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> DIRECT: What I understand is that you could essentially automatically
> generate RDF triples (a graph) from the relational data. The top image shows
> a graph of relational data and the bottom image shows how the previous graph
> can be exposed as RDF (a graph) and it is equivalent (isomorphic) to the
> relational data graph.
>
> TRANSFORM: In this section you have taken the previous relational data graph
> and put it into the graph structure of two different ontologies. You show
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^
> that if you compare the relational data graph with the two graph structures
> of the two different ontologies, then the graphs are different
                       ^^^^^^^^^^
> (non-isomorphic).

I believe that you understand the expressivity points DIRECT and
TRANSFORM, but I don't believe we can use the word "ontology" to
describe graph shape. For example, an attribute diabetes_history
could be represented in the SNOMED ontology as
  # likely isomorphic to relational graph.
  _:p sn:160303001 true .       # family history of diabetes
or as
  # likely non-isomorphic, but better model.
  _:p sn:57177007 _:h .         # family history
  _:h sn:24609004 sn:73211009 . # with finding of diabetes.
As a sense of scale, the most popular medical ontology, SNOMED,
has around 370k analogous representation choices (pre-coordinated
terms).

Pre-existing ontologies also demand term synthesis. A ball bearing
database with hardening treatment T5 would likely be expressed in a
pre-existing RDF graph as a URI in an ontology of eutectic hardening.

In this, pre-existing ontologies are a motivation for a set of
expressivities.

> IF I UNDERSTOOD THIS CORRECTLY... then
>
> What I was mentioning initial (putative ontology and domain ontology) is
> directly aligned to what Eric is presenting. Essentially, creating a
> putative ontology directly from the sql ddl is equivalent to the DIRECT
> requirement and mapping the rdb schema to an existing domain ontology is the
> TRANSFORM requirement. Therefore, I propose that this needs to be reworded.
> Honestly, it is very difficult to understand and I think the semantic web
> and database community would both understand that we are talking about
> mapping to an ontology.

I agree that this is a difficult point, but I don't think that we can
gloss over it by describing our requirements in terms of motivations
as it doesn't give the required precision. I'd of course, love
clarifications and refinements though, as it is difficult to convey
graph theory in a paragraph.

> Sometimes there doesn't exist a domain ontology that I would like to map to,
> therefore I will just use the DIRECT approach. This is what I consider
> "direct mapping", therefore we are totally aligned in our thoughts. On the
> other hand, you do want to map to existing domain ontologies. These mappings
> will have a higher level of complexity.
>
> In conclusion, we I propose that we present these requirements as:
>
> The mapping language should be able to expose the relational data as RDF
> without considering a domain ontology
>
> The mapping language should be able to express the mapping between the
> relational schema and a existing domain ontology
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2010Apr/0059.html
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Draft_of_Use_Cases#Expressivity
> [3] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/use-cases/#DIRECT
> [4] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/use-cases/#TRANSFORM