From: hhalpin@w3.org [mailto:hhalpin@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 11:05 AM
To: Ezzat, Ahmed
Cc: RDB2RDF WG
Subject: RE: ISSUE-3

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Ezzat, Ahmed wrote:

> Agree.  It also seems there is consensus from the email exchange and talking with Ashok that the 2nd MUST in your list from the charter: "The mapping language MUST define the set of relational algebra to be supported in the first release." will be eliminated.

Yes, I agree that the second MUST seems to indicate that there will be a
mapping, at least on the semantic level, between SPARQL and SQL.

  However, I suspect that the main reason that's in the charter is just
that the WG be clear exactly what part of the DDL and DML will be
supported or not, and to make this decision as early as possible (which
is why having this debate now is a good thing).

I would be happy to rephrase it as per Ashok's rephrasing [1] and ask the
W3C if the charter can be changed in this manner. However, that particular
requirement is written such that we simply have to declare which subset we
want to support, which can be simply be the DDL. That would satisfy the
MUST of the requirement. However, if someone has a dissenting opinion, now
would be a good time to send it to the list-serv.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdb2rdf-wg/2009Nov/0018.html