Re: ISSUE-3

On 12 Nov 2009, at 16:26, Ezzat, Ahmed wrote:
> Given that the goal of the WG is to create a mapping from RDB
> Schemas to RDF/OWL classes only.  This require us to be able to read
> the schema but not necessarily to modify it.

+1 for scoping this WG to read-only access.

> This leads me: R2RML mapping language MUST support as complete as
> possible all SQL data and object types and any exceptions will be
> identified as soon as possible after the WG launch.

+1 for supporting as many SQL data types as possible. But what's the
target for "all" data types? Does this include, say, the XML type of
SQL:2003? What about types that are not in the standard but commonly
used in popular RDBMS? I don't even know if SQL:2008 adds any new
datatypes...

Are you saying that user-defined object types should be supported in
the language? I'm opposed to that idea. My impression is that this is
implemented very inconsistently across different RDBMS, if at all; it
adds a lot of complexity to the already big overall task of the WG;
I'm not aware of any existing RDB2RDF system that handles them from
which we could learn, so we move from standardisation into research
territory; I would have no idea how methods with arguments should be
handled; and only a small minority of RDBMS users seem to be using
user-defined object types. So from my POV the case for including them
is weak; certainly not good enough for a MUST at this stage.

Best,
Richard