Re: GSOC 2013

Hi and thanks for your interested in GSoC 2013. A couple of things
before we start:

1. You, and only you, are responsible for your application. Don't wait
on me to get your application together and submit it. You can always
re-submit/update the application. The program is best for students that
can make progress on their own, as frustrating as that may be at times.
So give it your best shot and I'll try to help as much as I can after
you get a rough draft of the application together.

2. If you haven't read the GSoC Student Advice page, read it carefully:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents

3. If you need advice on how to write your application, read this carefully:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents#Writing_Your_Application

4. Here is the application template, please follow it closely:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/GSoC2013ApplicationTemplate

Now, on to the specifics of what you asked...

On 04/14/2013 11:12 AM, Swapna Sugunendiran wrote:
> I am Swapna Sugunendiran from India. I am currently pursuing a
> Masters degree in Computer Applications from National Institute of
> Technology, Trichy.

A pleasure to meet you Swapna. :)

> I aspire to work on an open source project with W3C via GSOC 2013. I
> am interested in the ideas of working with an HTML-5 Validator and
> the Web Payments. I've had experience working with PHP on a building
> a couple of websites. Python, not so much. But being a fast learner,
> I am capable of learning the finer details of the language in a
> week's time or less.

That is good, a core requirement is the ability to learn new
technologies quickly.

> Must I have worked with RFDa and JSON-LD technologies if I elect to
> work with the Web Payments project?

It's not an absolute requirement, no. If you are confident that you
could learn both RDFa and JSON-LD in a short period of time, then the
Web Payments work would be open to you.

> It would be very helpful if you can shed more light on the two
> projects.

Fill out the application template as best as you can, the first draft
doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect:

http://www.w3.org/wiki/GSoC2013ApplicationTemplate

Note that I only speak for the Web Payments work as I'm listed as a
mentor for that one. Pick a sub-project that you think you would be
excited to work on from these projects (for example, would you like to
do a beginner, intermediate, or advanced project?):

http://www.w3.org/2013/03/gsoc2013#web-payments

Once we've narrowed it down to something that would match your skillset
and something that you'd be excited to work on, we can have a quick chat
about what the project will entail.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Google Summer of Code 2013: RDFa, JSON-LD, Web Payments
http://digitalbazaar.com/2013/03/12/gsoc/