Re: removing w3c logos from distributed versions of validators/link checker

On Monday 23 March 2009, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> On 23-Mar-09, at 3:41 PM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > 1) docs/checklink.html still has a reference
> > to ../images/valid_icons/valid-xhtml10-blue.png.  Maybe get rid of
> > the whole
> > validity badge there?
>
> Yes, I think so.

Ok, done in CVS.

> > 2) images/w3c.png still exists in CVS, and bin/checklink and
> > docs/checklink.html still refer to it instead of no_w3c.png.  The
> > easiest
> > solution would seem to be to overwrite images/w3c.png with the current
> > images/no_w3c.png (and revert the related changes to MANIFEST and
> > SIGNATURE).
>
> That was the idea indeed. I was thinking the makefile/tarball making
> script could basically do a `mv images/no_w3c.png images/w3c.png` but
> that might not be right.

Ah, ok.  I think that's doable, however a simplistic approach would result in
that being done in a CVS checkout dir where "cp" instead of "mv" would be
more appropriate and after that one needs to be careful not to commit the
(replaced) images/w3c.png to CVS.  I can have a look at a safer approach if
needed along these lines (let me know if you think this is necessary),
however this alone wouldn't solve the problem below.

> > On the other hand this will lead to local installations displaying
> > the online
> > w3c.png which is the "real" W3C logo by default - IIUC this was not
> > desirable.
>
> How would they end up with the image, if it is not distributed?

They wouldn't have the image locally, but the out of the box link checker
Doc_URI configuration variable points to
http://validator.w3.org/docs/checklink.html and when we
resolve ../images/w3c.png based on that, the URL to the displayed image ends
up being http://validator.w3.org/images/w3c.png

> >  Another solution would be to change bin/checklink and
> > docs/checklink.html in CVS to refer to no_w3c.png, and customize the
> > version
> > running on official validator servers to refer to w3c.png instead
> > (or to make
> > sure no_w3c.png is actually the real w3c.png there).  This way
> > images/w3c.png
> > could stay in CVS, it'd just not end up in the dist tarball.
>
> I suppose that works, indeed. Probably simpler, and although it would
> be extra work whenever updating the instance on validator.w3.org, that
> seems like something the w3c team could live with.

There could be a Makefile option for changing the path, for example something
like "make change-icon-url URL=../images/w3c.png".  But then again if the
link checker is not installed via Makefile(.PL) on the w3c servers but just
run from a CVS checkout, I think the modifications to bin/checklink and
docs/checklink.html would need to be done only once and would be preserved as
local modifications on future "cvs update"s (hopefully without conflicts).

> > 3) images/no_w3c.png is missing from MANIFEST and SIGNATURE, but
> > fixing this
> > depends on how 2) above is solved (and SIGNATURE will be autogenerated
> > anyway, no need to modify it except when finalizing a release).
>
> Gotcha, I wasn't certain about SIGNATURE. I vote we follow your
> (second) solution.

Ok, done in CVS, without the above mentioned Makefile target for replacing the
URL.  BTW no_w3c.png should be made available at
http://validator.w3.org/images/no_w3c.png for the default Doc_URI reason
above.