Re: linkchecker's Makefile.PL and CPAN trick

Hi Ville,

On 31-Jan-09, at 10:56 AM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> The only thing I'm a bit uncertain of is whether application/
> vnd.wap.xhtml+xml
> should be kept in the Accept header.  Even though it currently in
> the CVS
> version has a q value of 0.6 (lower than everything except */*),
> some large
> sites such as Google and Yahoo now decide to serve mobile versions
> of their
> sites to the link checker.

This is certainly part of a disturbing trend that many sites show,
obviously misimplementing content negotiation. In this case I share
your uncertainty, but would be tempted to:
1) keep the link checker as it is now. I somewhat hope that sites
doing that kind of on-the-fly content adaptation will have the same
URI mapping for "web" and "mobile"
1) send a quick mail to the big sites identified
2) write about the issue on a W3C blog, try to put it in a way that is
not accusatory but wonder what are the causes of this implementation
(bad mobile User-Agents issuing bogus Accept strings?) and what can be
made to keep negotiation relevant.

>> Would you prefer doing it or should I?
>
> I can take care of it, let's say earlyish next week.  The only thing
> in
> addition to possibly the above I have on the TODO list is
> mentioning "perl -MCPAN -e 'install W3C::LinkChecker'" in the docs.

Good point. I have added a bit of text and see that you've made
improvements to that draft.

Thanks!