Re: Testing RFC 4646 values in markup languages

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 18 mars 2008 à 16:47, Felix Sasaki a écrit :
>> HTML 4.01  is talking about the lang attribute, but not xml:lang. So
>> I think the above statement "The following attributes are common ..."
>> does not contradict HTML 4.01. . However, it may make sense to align
>> the behavior of lang and xml:lang: that is, to change the
>> requirements for lang and let it appear at any element, or to change
>> the requirements for xml:lang so that it may not appear on APPLET,
>> BASE etc. That looks like a question for the HTML and i18n core WGs,
>> and after it is decided it would be a question for the conformance
>> checker. What do you think?
>
> note that HTML 4.01 defines the content model.
>
> HTML 4 is a language with two serializations and a lot of profiles.
>
> HTML 4
>   sgml -> HTML 4.01
>   xml  -> XHTML 1.0, XHTML 1.1, XHTML Basic, etc.
>

> This is not valid XHTML 1.0

obviously yes, I should have checked
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd which has
<!ATTLIST br
  %coreattrs;

<!ATTLIST body
  %attrs;
%coreattrs; does not contain the declaration for xml:lang, but  %attrs;
does.

that is: XHTML 1 took the same design decisions as HTML 4.01 with
respect to allowing lang only on some elements, and it aligned the
occurrence of xml:lang with that decision. So the alignment  I had
proposed  for lang and xml:lang is already given in  XHTML 1.

>>> html5 served as application/xhtml+xml

>>> What a Conformance checker should do here?
>
> From html 5 (application/xhtml+xml), point of view this is conformant.

that means that html 5 is not backwards compatible with the design
decisions taken for the HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1 serializations of HTML 4.

Felix