Re: qa-dev server down, possibly for few days or more.

Hi all,

On Aug 3, 2007, at 15:36 , olivier Thereaux wrote:
> This is just a warning that our development server, qa-dev.w3.org
> (which has also been used in past months to host some EduTF stuff)
> is apparently suffering a serious breakdown, and we haven't been
> able to put it back online yet.
>
> Corrupted memory is one suspected cause, and I'm currently running
> a memcheck to confirm, but if this does not work out, we may have
> to keep the machine down for a few more days, as our sysadmin and
> hardware wiz is away until next Tuesday.
>
> FWIW, the RAID drive for this machine appears to be functional, and
> the data has been regularly backed up, so loss of data should
> hopefully not be cause for concern.

The hardware failure was much worse that we first imagined: fried
memory, one of the two processors baked, the RAID controller was
seared, and one partition of the disk (fortunately, it was /tmp...)
got steamed in the process. Not nice.

Our sysadmin virtuoso regardless did wonders, and managed to transfer
all the content and reinstall qa-dev on a new (better!) machine in no
time.

Julien, I'll be able to create your account on the machine on Monday.

Steph, the SQL dump for the edutf survey still works fine. I've
dropped a copy dated before the breakdown, just in case.

All, could you check whether everything is still functional? I
already checked that apache and the services under it do run OK,
Jigsaw and the CSS validator test instance appear functional too,
tomcat is running but without unicorn, not yet reinstalled. If you
notice anything broken, please holler.

Thanks.