Branches or not (Re: Can you merge branch and head version of validator windows install doc?)

Hi Sierk,

On Nov 15, 2006, at 20:30 , Sierk Bornemann wrote:
> Does validator-0_8-branch already exist?

No, and I don't think it will, not for now. Branches in CVS drive me
crazy, they have been a pain to manage, and have sucked up a lot of
my time... Mostly because I don't trust CVS to merge things
automatically for me and have been porting everything by hand from
branch to HEAD.

So for now, while the goal is to get the new S:P:O architecture out
the door, I was thinking of sticking to the HEAD and only use tags
for milestones, release candidates, and releases.

> that validator-0_7_4-release has changed through this merge after
> the release date.

Are you sure? I have been guilty of re-tagging a few files just
before release time (my bad! Trying not to, although late minute
tests always tend to show things that were overlooked, especially
these days when I'm mostly developing on my own.) but don't think I
have ever re-tagged a file after release.

For instance
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/misc/docs_errors.pl
has the last file in the 0.7 branch properly tagged validator-0_7_4-
release, and the file in HEAD (so outside of the 0.7 branch) modified
later, is not tagged anything else than HEAD. I trust this is the
case of all files modified after the packages were made, online
instances updated and announcement sent.

Maybe you were a bit early in cvs-get'ing the tagged files?