Re: [wmvs] Requirements for "Valid" Badges [forwarded from Janet Daly <janet@w3.org>]

For some reason, I can't seem to be able to bounce (moderate) this mail.
Thus, forwarding.

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Janet Daly <janet@w3.org>
  • Subject: Re: [wmvs] Requirements for "Valid" Badges
  • To: Terje Bless <link@pobox.com>
  • Cc: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>, W3C Communications Team <w3t-comm@w3.org>
Terje Bless wrote:

> [...]

> juridistictions /do/; and thus even a free clone or derivative of such a font
> would become encumbered in those juridistictions.
>
> And finally, some fonts might be distributed under a license that prohibits
> subsetting of the available glyphs or similar modifications. In a context such
> as providing badges in SVG format, this could lead to the ridiculous situation
> of having to either include the full font in each badge (leading to very large
> file sizes) or not embedding the font at all.
>
> In any case; our main concern with fonts useage for the badges is not whether
> they're “pretty”, suitable for print or web use, legible, etc. (I expect you
> have all those sorts of issues well in hand). Our requirements stem from the
> fonts being, from the perspective of the Validator, essentially “source code”
> and thus needs to allow modification and redistribution under the same terms
> as the surrounding source code.
>
> In particular, it's not enough to distribute binary objects (PNG, GIF, SVGz,
> etc.) of the pre-rendered badges. We need to include the “source code” masters
> in a way such that the recipient could conceivably regenerate — using Open
> Source tools —  all the badges from the master templates.
>
> Typically this would be to implement a new compression algorithm, converting
> PNG alpha channel to simple transparency for MSIE:win (a specific use case
> which has cropped up lately), adding Dublin Core or RDF metadata, adding a
> custom glyph for the checkmark in the badges, or similar purely
> technical/format transformations.
>

> But do note that this is in regards fonts __as_used_in_the_badges__ and not
> w3.org font useage in general. I assume validator.w3.org and related sites
> would quickly adopt any w3.org general font policy for web pages, but here the
> CSS font fallback mechanism would make any encumbered fonts non-problematic.

> It's specifically the font used for the text in the “Valid This” badges that
> concern us.
>

> Back in 1998 or thereabouts, my then employer set about on a grand project to
> replace their original web site — which was rather austere and simplistic, but
> Valid HTML 3.2; guess who designed it? :-) — with one designed by a local ad
> agency. When the time came for the launch, every employee computer had one of
> the “Copperplate” (98BC?) fonts installed so the site would “look right”...
>
> It was quite amusing to hear the complaints of the marketing department, upon
> returning from a customer and having demonstrated our shiny new web site, that
> the pages looked horribly ugly and the pretty font didn't show up. Not quite
> as amusing when the proposed workaround was to turn the pages into a single
> large image with an imagemap for links.
>

> The moral of the story? Font useage needs to be _useable_ first, and æstethic
> second; and in our case, we have some additional use requirements above what
> is normally necessary for design for web publishing.

Terje, thank you very much for this helpful and detailed description.
Just as I would have a question, the next paragraph would address it.

I'll bring your requests back to the Comm Team, and hope to have a
response by the start of next week.

Best regards,

Janet

--

World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

Janet Daly, Global Communications Officer
MIT/CSAIL, Building 32-G518
32 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA 02139

voice: 617.253.5884