Re: refactoring MarkupValidator/M12N

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>I went through http://esw.w3.org/topic/MarkupValidator/M12N to try and
>see how the area could be reorganized - right now the text from
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2005Mar/0010.html has
>been yanked at the end for lack of a better place.
>
>I think the organization could be something like
>
>* Defining Constraints (conformance rules, schemas)
>* Input, filtering and Indirection
>* Observer model
>* Output and Serializations
>* Testing

The idea here is that at some point in the process there would be a
complete data object that has all the things a serializer would use
in order to present the result to the user, e.g., the XHTML document
you currently get. My current thinking is to describe the data model
as XML document format possibly with an API and Perl bindings. This
is probably the most useful documentation for it if we anticipate
this beeing the basic interoperability level for interaciton with
other tools since these would be exchanging XML then. Most of M12N
in the Wiki can then be thought as design considerations for this
XML document format.

There is some other discussion mostly around how to get to this one
data object (where do you get human-readable text from, etc.), this
is basically a separate discussion and mostly relevant only for the
things we directly implement in Perl and host on v.w3.org.

The other things like working with working groups, etc., are really
orthogonal to the M12N discussion in the document.

>"Defining constraints" could be a single message, could hold most of
>bjoern's writeup and would be where we'd point WGs eager to have their
>technology valited? Actually, each of these sections could be its own
>wiki document, with .../M12N providing only a general overview of the
>architecture of the "validator II".

I don't think these should be split too much...