Re: MSIE warning

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 01:23 +0100, Terje Bless wrote:

> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> >Perhaps deverbosify even more and avoid having to maintain "solutions"
> >in many places; just link to this instead?
> >http://www.w3.org/QA/2005/01/Validator-IE_WinXP_SP2.html
>
> Which part of the text do you suggest is redundant in giving the user the
> minimal amount of information necessary to understand what's going on?

Everything starting from "You can work around this problem ...".

> Surely you're not suggest it read «MSIE users Click Here!»?

Not with those exact words, but yes, I'd replace the solution hardcoded
in the validator's code with a link to a document describing the problem
and the suggested workarounds/solutions.  Eg. something like:

     Note: some versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer are known to
     mislabel uploaded files as text/plain.  We have a separate document
     detailing the problem and suggesting solutions and workarounds
     available at
     http://www.w3.org/QA/2005/01/Validator-IE_WinXP_SP2.html

By the way, I believe the User-Agent test in check is too strict, it'll
probably fail to catch many current MSIE 6 SP2's.  $ua =~ /MSIE/ should
be good enough IMO.  Or not trying to sniff the browser in the first
place, but checking if the uploaded file's name matches /\.x?html?$/i