Re: [check] install guide (draft)

Le mer 17/12/2003 à 08:40, Olivier Thereaux a écrit :
> The draft is up on the beta validator site:
> http://validator.w3.org:8001/docs/devel
>
> I would appreciate any comment you would have to make this better.

Looks really good! I would make two pages out of it, though, since it
seems to target two mostly different audiences:
- possible contributors to the validator for development
- people wanting to install the validator on a server

My fear is that the 2nd audience might get discouraged by the length of
the document and the gory details of the internals of the validator.

Minor details follow:
- for the versions of the Perl modules, unless the dependencies are
stronger than I think, I suggest that the versions should be indicated
as minimal versions (e.g. CGI (>= 2.81) )
- a few <acronym> or <abbr> on the abbreviation could help contributors
getting into the project (FPI, SGML, ...)
- move out the "Thanks" from the body of the text to an acknowledgment
section
- the development download from CVS could be removed from the generic
install guide, and moved in the separate contrib document
- a link to a tutorial on using the CPAN installer could be useful
- "Copy [validatorpath]/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to
[validatorpath]/httpd/conf/validator-httpd.conf" is strange; why do we
incite using a different filename than the one used in our
repository/tarball?
- the configure section (but part 6) is really Apache-centric
(configuration files, includes, restarting on change of config, etc.); I
would suggest making it clearer and removing the 'with apache' prefixes
- s/webserver/Web server/
- s/online/on-line/
- s/mailinglist/mailing list/ (and a link to the archives would be a
good idea too)

Dom
W3C/ERCIM
mailto:dom@w3.org