Re: meeting record: 2022-02-15 PWE CG

Tzviya & All,

Thanks for these great notes. I can provide some real work co-chair
leadership examples, including successful succession planning and real
world attempts to increase diversity and inclusion with mixed results (I
would have wanted more impact, but at least we got some).

I agree on the importance of chair training, and optimally chair org best
practices. Again, we have a lot of this structure in the CCG that was
already in place and that has been built upon. These may or not apply to
other CG and WGs. I would disagree that chairs are not a leadership
position. They are an operational leadership position and thus set the
stage for what is accepted and unaccepted behavior. They 100% can change
the tone of communities to make it more inclusive and accessible to new to
the community people/companies/contributors. Or make it toxic by accepting
and not calling out inappropriate behavior/list language. Here is the CCG
chair job description we use:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18uPGjBw15i9jLRQ5K4SCwrrGU6zBIB3PpIap17X39fo/edit

As a chair, I need the ombuds program to have real teeth so it can be used
in situations where chairs can not resolve the situation directly. I wish
everyone would play nice and I personally want to give the benefit of the
doubt way too long, but unfortunately that is not the reality. W3C policies
and process are a structure that can support these efforts, just as the
process and structure supports the development of tech standards.

Sorry I can't make these meetings, as they are just a bit outside my
workday hours. I do appreciate the conversations and efforts. Thank you.

Cheers,

-Heather

--
Heather Vescent <http://www.heathervescent.com/>