Re: XHTML is no longer being maintained

On Aug 2, 2024 at 21:34 +0200, Brady Duga <duga@ljug.com>, wrote:
> Switching away from XHTML to HTML has been a topic for years in the various EPUB related groups. From a reading system perspective, most RSes load their content into webviews or the browser as HTML anyway, since XHTML has been finicky since ... well, since forever. But there are parts of the pipeline in almost all RSes that assume they are getting well-formed XML, so we have never gone the route of allowing it as a core media type. Every once in a while there is a bit of a push when something breaks (e.g. scripting has some XHTML issues), but the cure has always been worse than the disease. Maybe the time has come (or is coming) to bring it up again.

There have been extensive discussions around EPUB + HTML over the years, see, for example:

https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/636
https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/2259

The fear has always been to break the existing infrastructure, which does not only involve Reading Systems, but also the full production line, epub checkers, etc.

That being said, spawning XHTML into a separate group does not seem to be realistic. With the complexity of HTML today, that would be an impossible task, and would almost surely lead to an incompatible branch off HTML. Eventually, the EPUB community at large may have to finally bite the bullet and open up to HTML but, so far, this has not been the case...

Cheers

Ivan