From: matt.garrish@gmail.com <matt.garrish@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 6:11 PM
To: 'Liam R. E. Quin' <liam@fromoldbooks.org>, 'John Foliot' <john@foliot.ca>, public-epub3@w3.org <public-epub3@w3.org>, public-publishingcg@w3.org <public-publishingcg@w3.org>, epub-higher-education@lists.daisy.org <epub-higher-education@lists.daisy.org>
Subject: RE: Seeking *opinions* as part of a larger research issue.
> A URL in a long-lived document can have the problem that the original owner stopped paying for it and it now serves malware or phishing pages. So there can be security implications.

Yes, absolutely, and we do briefly mention this issue in the threat model section[1] in the EPUB 3.3 spec (under linking to external resources), although we're not able to offer great solutions for it. Anything that requires passing through the vendor/publisher to get to the destination then brings in privacy issues, as Leonard has already alluded to. And assumes they're still around and their domain hasn't been taken over...

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/epub-33/#epub-threat-model

Matt