Re: Question regarding Legal Documents and Heavy use of Nested Numbered Lists

To be honest, my first and so far only thought is that perhaps this is a
niche best left to PDF. There aren't many such, but the complexities of
numbered structures within structures may not be worth the vast effort
of reinventing for EPUB.

/  —Jim

/
On 8/11/2023 12:15 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> Why not examine how PDF does this – since the vast majority of legal
> documents have been (and continue to be) distributed as PDF files for
> 25+ years now including many of them required to be accessible.
>
> While the full details of creating accessible PDFs can be found in ISO
> 14289, PDF/UA (https://pdfa.org/resource/iso-14289-pdfua/) – you can
> also check out what the W3C specifically says about the handling of
> Lists in PDF with respect to WCAG at
> https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/pdf#PDF21.
>
> Leonard
>
> *From: *Charles LaPierre <charlesl@benetech.org>
> *Date: *Friday, August 11, 2023 at 1:31 PM
> *To: *public-publishingcg@w3.org <public-publishingcg@w3.org>
> *Subject: *Question regarding Legal Documents and Heavy use of Nested
> Numbered Lists
>
> *EXTERNAL: Use caution when clicking on links or opening attachments.*
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am struggling to find what should be the best practice around Legal
> documents or other documents which have a lot of nested numbered lists.
>
> Should these lists be encoded as true lists in HTML or should they be
> hard coded within the <p> tags.
>
> I see pros and cons for both ways.  For accessibility reasons having
> these as true lists is important for navigation etc. but if you are
> trying to cite some legal section 2.5.3 for example and copy that out
> and past it into another document it usually will revert to 1.1.1.
> There may be other concerns I am not thinking of especially say a
> multi-page document and needing to keep track on a different page
> where the numbering scheme left of so you can update the list’s
> starting point.
>
> Any thoughts on how these heavily nested list documents should be
> encoded from an accessibility perspective.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charles
>
> EOM
>
> Charles LaPierre
>
> Principal, Accessibility and Content Quality Architect
>
> Benetech
>
> Twitter: @CLaPierreA11Y

*NitroPress Communications*
A Component of Nitrosyncretic LLC