Re: W3C [PBG] Americas/Europe Meeting Agenda

Sorry, I won't be able to join today, but would like to raise a point.

> Are you working to update the quality or accessibility of your backlist?

In the scope of the upcoming European Accessibility Act, there is a need to "upgrade" to accessible EPUB 3 as many reflowable EPUB 2 as possible, out of the 2000 / 2020 national backlists. Such backlists can represent several 100K titles per country.
In this huge set of EPUB 2 (and some EPUB 3) files, many are correctly structured (at the level of their headings and ToC) and have no visual information (photos, illustration, tables in raster format). Novels are a great example. This is the honey pot.

Several questions arise then:
- how many titles fall into this honey pot, per country? or what percentage of national backlists?
- what are the pitfalls we must avoid when classifying titles considered being part of the honey pot?
- which tools could fully automatise the "upgrade" of these EPUB 2 titles to accessible EPUB 3?

Note: I explicitly exclude PDF files from this honey pot, as PDFs require some re-structuration before being processed, and this implies more complex tools. I also exclude fixed-layout EPUBs, because we still don't know what an accessible FXL is.

Each EU country has to start studying this aspect, EDRLab members start discussing these topics, PBG members could certainly help.

Best regards
Laurent