From: Daihei Shiohama <shiohama@mediado.jp>
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 4:50 PM
To: W3C Publishing Working Group <public-publ-wg@w3.org>
Cc: W3C Publishing Business Group <public-publishingbg@w3.org>, W3C Publishing Steering Committee <public-publishing-sc@w3.org>, 吉井順一 <j-yoshii@kodansha.co.jp>
Subject: DRAFT PROPOSED EPUB 3 Working Group Charter https://w3c.github.io/epub-3-wg-charter/

Hi all,

In reference to the proposed charter above and intentions to moving forward with EPUB 3 for W3C Recommendation Track (“Rec Track”), we are writing this on behalf of the Japanese publishing industry community including publishers, eBook distributors, eBook reading system developers/providers, industry organizations, et al currently participating to the EPUB 3 based eBook business ecosystem as follows:

  *   Backward compatibility of the EPUB 3 specifications shall be maintained thoroughly.
  *   The Rec Track process will not ill-effect the EPUB 3 specifications pertaining to the current EPUB business ecosystem from file creations, distribution and reading system.
  *   The above basis shall be maintained even if the rec track process may seek the cases of utilizing a feature that was never implemented anywhere and adding any new features.In the event any doubt of occurrence of causing issues with the above basis, EPUB Work Group once established shall report details of such causes to all the members of Publishing@ W3C and seek consensus to proceed.

Junichi Yoshii (Kodansha)
Daihei Shiohama (Media Do)